Friday, December 05, 2014

New Boss, Same Focus for Climate Activist Group 350.org

Incoming 350.org board chairman KC Golden is a well known climate activist. (Credit: Climate Solutions)
The new chairman of the small but influential climate advocacy nonprofit 350.org is promising to keep fighting the proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline while expanding his activist group.

KC Golden is replacing -- at least temporarily -- 350.org founder Bill McKibben, who announced this week he would become a senior adviser, working on ideas and strategy rather than traveling and doing more time-consuming duties.

Golden, senior policy adviser for the Seattle-based nonprofit Climate Solutions, said people have warned him of the difficulty of trying to fill McKibben's shoes.

"I don't want anybody to think this is about replacing Bill.  That would be daunting, and nobody is going to do that," Golden said in an interview.  "Bill is still Bill.  Bill still fills Bill's shoes.

"I will look more like a conventional chair.  I'm going to shoulder a little bit more of the load."

McKibben wrote in a blog post:  "The constant travel of the last 7 years has helped a little, I hope, to build this movement, but I'm ready for a bit more order in my life."

He added, "Don't worry -- I'll still be there when the time comes to go to jail, or to march in the streets, or to celebrate the next big win on divestment.  But I'd like to see more of my wife."

Golden, who will also keep working for Climate Solutions, said the changes also mean that people will hear more from 350.org's growing list of staffers, including Executive Director May Boeve.

Read more at New Boss, Same Focus for Climate Activist Group 350.org

No comments:

Post a Comment